The Egypt dairy packaging market is expected to grow at a CAGR of about 4.7% during the forecast period of 2021-2026. The rising culture of healthy drinking, higher consumption of ready-to-drink dairy beverages, and the rise in online shopping is altering the way dairy products are being purchased and consumed in Egypt. Furthermore, the changing lifestyles of the Egyptian population to more health-conscious eating is likely to have a positive impact on the market.
- The dairy production companies in the country are focusing on more investments to expand their dairy production volume, further creating opportunities for the studied market. For instance, Obour Land, a significant Egyptian manufacturer specialized in the production, processing, and packaging of white cheese has invested EGP 600 million over the last four years.
- The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) has worked to boost economic growth and develop open and sustainable market economies for the southern and eastern Mediterranean, known as SEMED. The EBRD has been investing in Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, and Tunisia since September 2012. As per November 2019, EBRDâ€™s total investment in this region has reached EUR 10.1 billion in seven years, focusing on renewable energy, infrastructure, and SMEs. This investment will help to grow the dairy packaging market ecosystem of Egypt in the coming years.
- There is a significant growth of dairy product purchases attributed to customers hoarding due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic in Egypt. There has also been an expected rise in consumption as a more significant portion of the Egyptian populationâ€™s income has been allocated to food spending. It has lower spending on other aspects due to self-isolation measures.
- From a Hermes Investment Bank report, Egyptian dairy products companies Obourland, Juhayna, Domty, and Edita are expected to see their 2020 revenues grow by more than 20%. Increasing dairy consumption will have a positive impact on the Egyptian dairy packaging market. As stated by the International Monetary Fund, Egypt experienced a positive economic trend before the outbreak, with a GDP growth rate of 5.5% in 2018/2019 and more positive estimations of 5.9% for 2019/2020 and 6.0% for 2020/2021 were expected.
Key Market Trends
Plastic Material is Expected to Hold a Significant Share Throughout the Forecast Period
- Plastic bottles in the country contribute more than 50% of the milk packaging. The trend of on-the-go consumption, the convenience of the smooth pour, the appealing packaging quality, and health awareness showcased by drinkable dairies, like soy-based milk, have augmented the demand for plastic packaging.
- Nowadays, the primary factor behind expanding the sales of dairy products are the different forms of packaging available. Earlier, milk was available only in gable-top cartons. At present, milk has delivered in portable, brand-friendly plastic bottles, which is an attractive option for busy consumers.
- Some of the newest milk and drinkable dairy products, such as smoothies and yogurts, are presented in single-serve and sleek plastic bottles. The increasing adoption of skim milk powder among the young generations of the country is also contributing to the growth of the dairy packaging market in the coming years. The import of skim milk powder stands at 76.74 thousand tonnes in 2019 (according to OECD) and expected to reach 107.77 thousand tonnes in 2028.
- According to data released by OECD-FAO, the volume of cheese consumed in Egypt is likely to reach 734.04 thousand tonnes by 2028. Light weighting feature is expected to drive the use of plastics in cheese, as cheeses get transferred in bulk.
Milk Segment is Expected to Grow at a Significant Rate During the Forecast Period
- The high content of minerals and moisture in milk makes it very challenging for producers or sellers to store it for an extended period, which is one of the significant reasons for milk consumed as milk powder or processed milk. With the current milk processing technology, fluid milk packed in a bottle has a shelf-life between 10 and 21 days when stored at a temperature between 4 to 8Â°C. With the advent of emerging processes, like UP and UHT, the shelf life of packaged milk has extended to a year without refrigeration.
- Milk is the most preferred dairy product across Egypt. According to OECD, Egypt produced 5.54 million tonnes of milk in 2019. The country's cow inventory stands near 6.86 million in 2019, contributing to the country's massive amount of milk production.
- In August 2019, some members of the "Export Council for Food Industries" and a member of the "Chamber of Food Industries," showed that the country is importing powdered milk valued in a range between USD 500 million to USD 1 billion in a year. These members suggest establishing a powder milk factory as a part of a national project, which will further boost this segment's growth in the coming years.
The Egypt dairy packaging market is moderately competitive and comprises a significant number of regional as well as global players. The vendors account for a considerable share and are focusing on expanding their customer base across the country. These players are investing in introducing new products and packaging solutions, strategic partnerships, and other organic & inorganic growth strategies to sustain in the market landscape during the forecast period.
- January 2020: Tetra Pak introduced the food and beverage (F&B) industryâ€™s full-scale virtual marketplace. This virtual marketplace will help the dairy-producing & processing companies in Egypt to have coordination on the supply-demand scenario at the time of the COVID-19 crisis.
- September 2019: Huhtamaki acquired Africa-based flexible packaging manufacturer Everest Flexibles for a value of GBP 58 million. After the acquisition, Huhtamki now has two flexible packaging manufacturing units in the African region, the recently opened facility in Egypt and Everest.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Any special requirements about this report, please let us know and we can provide custom report.