The Global Industrial Packaging Market was valued at USD 58.91 Billion in 2020 and is estimated to be worth USD 73.01 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of 3.53% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). The increasing volume of resources and products that are being transported across various regions is one of the primary factors that has led to the importance of bulk industrial packaging.
- Over the last few decades, industrial packaging has received very scant attention when compared to consumer packaging. However, recently, governments and organizations across the world have come to realize the importance of safe and sustainable industrial packaging
- The growing trend of sustainability, buoyed by legislation across various countries has driven the demand for recycling and reusability in the industrial packaging sector. The market has also observed an increased focus on downgauging/material reduction. An instance of this is the introduction of multi-walled paper sacks. This has helped in reducing the weight of traditional sacks considerably without sacrificing on the strength and performance.
- Further, the greater need to cut down on the logistics costs, bill of materials, and to enhance the overall efficiency across the supply chain, is expected to drive investments and innovation amongst the industrial packaging manufacturers over the forecast period. These factors have been buoyed by companies and governments that are focused on claiming the necessary measures to reduce packaging wastage. These trends are expected to drive the industrial packaging market over the forecast period.
- The industrial packaging market is highly dependent on the global import and export activities. While products, such as drums and pails have a huge demand from the heavy manufacturing industries, products, such as materials handling containers and IBCs have huge applications in logistics and short distance transportation of goods.
- The COVID-19 outbreak and recent lockdown across the globe have affected the industrial activities across the world. Some of the effects of lockdown include supply chain disruptions, lack of availability of raw materials used in the manufacturing process, labor shortages, fluctuating prices that could cause the production of the final product to inflate and go beyond budget, shipping problems, etc.
Key Market Trends
Intermediate Bulk Container (IBC) is Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBCs) have become a staple in the industrial packaging industry, as it is the most popular choice for companies in a wide variety of industries. IBCs are mainly used to store and handle materials in the oil and gas, chemical, and petrochemical sectors.
- These containers are available in three forms, which include flexible, rigid, and foldable IBCâ€™s. Further, IBCs ensure product safety and cost-effective packaging solutions, as well as helps in reducing the overall packaging cost owing to its features, like multiple usages, large storage capacity, and usability with different industrial products.
- The need for corrosion-resistant materials, coupled with the suitability requirements for the storage and handling of hazardous and non-hazardous liquid applications, has driven the usage of intermediate bulk containers in the chemicals, pharmaceutical, and food and beverage, and oil and lubricants sectors.
- The positive outlook of the chemical industry is expected to provide significant support to the IBC packaging. The demand is estimated to be driven by China, which is the most abundant chemical market. Like BASF, companies estimated chemical production in the region to grow by 3.6% in 2019.
United States is Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- The North American region is one of the largest regions for the pharmaceutical plastic packaging industry due to its large pharmaceutical manufacturing base and the ability to introduce technological advancements to pharmaceutical packaging. According to PMMI, The Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies, there are more than 700 North American Manufacturers of equipment, components, and materials for processing and packaging.
- The industrial packaging market in the United States is bolstered by the presence of major market players and strong manufacturing industries, such as chemicals, pharmaceuticals, food and beverages, and automotive.
- The rigid plastic IBCs are used in various industries, such as the food and beverage industry, industrial chemical industry, pharmaceutical industry, paints, inks, and dyes industry, and petroleum and lubricant industry. The Rigid Intermediate Bulk Container Association of North America fosters the interests of persons, firms, and corporations engaged in the business of manufacturing or assembling rigid intermediate bulk containers.
- For instance, the U.S beer industry in 2019 reported shipments of over 203.1 million barrels of beer which is equivalent to over 2.8 billion cases of 24-12 ounce containers worth of beer. Additionally, according to the NBWA Industry Affairs, 2019, the US consumers who are 21 years and older consumed 26.5 gallons of beer and cider per person during 2018, based upon beer shipment data and US Census population statistics. Such instances are indicative of the fact that the market is poised to grow over the forecast period.
The Industrial Packaging Market is Highly competitive owing to the presence of multiple vendors in the market. The market appears to be moderately concentrated with the major players adopting strategies such as product innovation and mergers and acquisitions. Some Key Players in the Market include Greif, Mondi plc, All American Containers.
- Jun 2020 - Mondi PLC announced a EUR 7 million investment in state-of-the-art paper sack converting machine at Mondi's plant in NyÃregyhÃ¡za, Hungary. The machine will increase the plantâ€™s quality, efficiency, and service standards to produce high-end and sophisticated paper sacks for food purposes.
- Apr 2020 - Greif expanded its IBC reconditioning network in North America by acquiring a minority investment stake in Centurion Container LLC. This partnership will enhance its capability in sustainable packaging solutions and increase its customer satisfaction rate.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Any special requirements about this report, please let us know and we can provide custom report.