The Cloud High Performance Computing (HPC) Market was valued at USD 4.50 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 11.54 billion by 2026, at a CAGR of 16.68% over the forecast period 2021 - 2026. The emergence of big data and complex applications, such as ultra-high definition workflows, electronic design automatic simulations, etc., across various industries, is driving growth in the market.
- Moreover, the incorporation of machine learning is increasing for achieving a brand advantage, especially in public-centric services, with every major player investing in this technology. This is supported by cloud high-performance computing, which helps in database management at reduced cost and higher speed.
- There has been an increase in the deployment of autonomous vehicles across many industries, including aerospace, healthcare, automotive, and e-commerce. From factories to distribution centers, vehicles are useful for any business. Thus, to run the process smoothly, several software programs run simultaneously. This is where high performance computing (HPC) becomes extremely important.
- For instance, in November 2018, Intel unveiled Cascade Lake Advance Performance (AP), a 48-core Xeon variant aimed at the high-performance computing crowd. Intel characterized the new AP processor line as designed for the most demanding high-performance computing (HPC), artificial intelligence (AI), and infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) workload.
- However, the rising concerns related to the safety and legitimate use of this data is a major challenge for the growth of this market.
Key Market Trends
Defense Offers Potential Opportunities
- There is a lot of activity in key mil-aero areas, including satellite image processing, signal and intelligence processing, and video analytics. For example, a wealth of image and video data is being collected via., satellite, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), and other devices. In this scenario, cloud high performance computing enables the military to identify security threats or targets of interest at a much faster rate with more accuracy.
- Moreover, (HPC) is well suited and steadily being adopted, for myriad defense and aerospace applications. HPC currently is playing a role in training and simulation; onboard systems for navigation, defense, and attack; and command, control, communications, intelligence, computers, and surveillance. Weapons systems are increasingly complex and require lots of interaction with sensors as well as a â€˜human in the loop.
- The United States is the superpower among the nations and even the Department of Defense is looking to refresh its high-performance computing capabilities in a new USD 240 million contract, in July 2018. Therefore, increasing defense spending will enable the adoption of cloud HPC technologies.
Asia-Pacific to Witness Fastest Growth
- In Asia-Pacific, India and China dominate the cloud HPC market and these two countries are the emerging economies of the world. Further, after the United States, China claims to have one of the better-developed HPC systems, having ramped up HPC investment quicker than the other countries.
- A major driver for the market in China is the countryâ€™s â€œNational AI Development Planâ€ released in July 2017, which revealed the country is committed to spending USD 22.15 billion on artificial intelligence research by 2020, and USD 59.07 billion by 2025. This plan is aimed at positioning China as a market leader in artificial intelligence in driverless technology, consumer artificial intelligence applications, telemedicine, and bio-pharmacy, and it is expected to create huge potential for the development of cloud high performance computing (HPC) market.
- The above factors contribute to the overall growth of high-performance computing market in the Asia-Pacific region.
- In addition, by eliminating the large capital outlay, maintenance costs, and power and space requirements, and reducing deployment time to a mere 20 minutes, the cloud democratizes HPC access. The capital, time, and manpower can instead be put toward acquiring computer power and other resources that facilitate progress on the research.
- Therefore, as countries in Asia-Pacific are developing economies, the cost benefits of cloud HPC over conventional HPC will drive the market growth in the region.
The cloud high performance computing market is very competitive because of the presence of many major players, like Intel Corporation Inc., Hewlett-Packard Company, Microsoft Corporation, IBM, Fujitsu Limited, etc., among others. Product launches, high expense on research and development, partnerships and acquisitions, etc., are the prime growth strategies adopted by these companies to sustain the intense competition.
- April 2018 - Hewlett Packard Enterprise partnered with three UK universities to supply ARM-powered HPC Systems. HPEâ€™s deployments are expected to be used to explore the potential of ARM-based HPC for academic and industrial applications.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support