The LED Lighting Market was valued at USD 75.81 billion in 2020 is expected to reach USD 160.03 billion by 2026 at a CAGR of 14.25% over the forecast period 2021 - 2026. By transitioning to energy-efficient LEDs, an estimated savings of USD 18 billion in electricity costs can be achieved. Furthermore, more than 160 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions can be avoided every year.
- Lighting accounts for nearly 10% of electricity usage in households and 18â€“40% of commercial premises. There is a growing need for energy saving across the globe, which is creating scope for the market. It is expected that the transition to energy-efficient lighting would reduce the global electricity demand for lighting by 30-40% in 2030.
- Countries across the globe are widely adopting LED lighting. For instance, New York planned to replace 250,000 streetlights with LEDs, which was to be followed by the replacement of decorative lights in the urban areas. Barcelona (Spain) deployed more than 3,000 smart streetlights based on LED technology, which gathers information about pollution, humidity, noise, and the overall environment.â€‹
- Moreover, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) anticipates that, by 2020, more than 75% of the outdoor luminaire shipments will be light-emitting diodes (LEDs). Moreover, assuming the efficacy of LED luminaires surges an additional 50% over current levels by 2020, as the DOE predicted, the outdoor lighting fixtures would be designed with even smaller and sleeker footprints.
- The growing consumer awareness about the environment and the durability of these lights, along with the government mandates for energy efficiency, are the drivers for the growing adoption of LEDs. For instance, the Chennai airport, as part of its green initiatives, bought six sets of LED base lights for use for disaster relief, as part of the measures to make its lights and fixtures energy-friendly.
- Smart lighting is expected to be the future of LED lighting, with various companies, like Philips, Magiclight, and Xiaomi, investing in the technology. Philips is one of the market leaders with its product, Philips Hue, which can be integrated with voice assistants.
Key Market Trends
Commercial Segment Expected to Witness Significant Growth Rate
- In the current market scenario, LED light bulbs are enduring the early adoption phase of the product life cycle. However, continued technological advancement in LED lighting has poised these product offerings to enter and advance through the growth phase. â€‹
- Recent advancements in light-emitting diode technology have allowed LED lighting products to penetrate effectively, the commercial lighting market with enormous potential for growth. Commercial buildings, including offices, stores, restaurants, hospitals, and schools, account for almost twenty percent of the United Statesâ€™ total energy consumption, and thirty-eight percent of this energy consumption is attributed to lighting.
- In addition, major American manufacturers are actively developing LED lighting business, with the rising LED lighting penetration rate. LED commercial lighting demand is strong in the US market, among which demand for Troffer, panel lights, tunnel lights, and high bay lights grows fastest, and they begin to develop towards intelligence and optical communications and other new application areas.
- For instance, Technical Consumer Products, Inc. offers its selectable commercial recessed downlight that comes with choices for color temperatures and wattages, making these adaptable for many corporate settings
- Overall, the rapid urbanization and the increasing construction activities in the commercial sectors of different countries are expected to fuel the studied market demand in the foreseen period. However, with the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the short-term forecast indicates a decline in demand as several commercial constructions halted temporarily.
Latin America is Expected to Occupy Significant Market Share
- In Latin America, nearly 80% of the total population resides in urban areas, which is expected to rise during the forecast period. By the end of 2045, urban dwellers are estimated to increase by two billion, globally. Thus, in such a scenario, it becomes essential for countries to use energy more efficiently and hence, will fuel the growth of the market.
- The growth of the LED lighting market in the region can be attributed to the declining manufacturing cost of LEDs and the increasing demand for energy-efficient and sustainable lighting. For instance, Brazil, which use to export LEDs has now set up many manufacturing facilities to accelerate its adoption in commercial, industrial, and government public sectors.
- Moreover, the Brazilian government issued a decree to replace incandescent bulbs with LED lighting products used in a variety of road lighting and tunnel lighting. Also, healthy economic growth, robust industrialization, and urbanization tend to be some of the macroeconomic factors driving the market.
- Furthermore, growing awareness over the importance of energy efficiency, coupled with the regional government mandates to set higher standards for more energy efficiency, and continuous innovations in LED technology by the leading manufacturers, is a significant factor driving the growth of the market in the region.
- Buildings are among the largest consumers of electricity, worldwide. However, according to estimates, 80% of the energy efficiency potential of the buildings is not utilized. For instance, Rio de Janeiro consumes 60% more energy for public lighting compared to New York City.
The LED lighting market is fragmented due to the presence of a large number of regional and international players across the world like Heliospectra ABâ€‹, Dialight PLCâ€‹, Eaton Corporationâ€‹, General Electric Company (Savant Systems Inc.), and OSRAM GmbH. These major players, with a prominent share in the market, are focusing on expanding their customer base across foreign countries. These companies are leveraging strategic collaborative initiatives to increase their market share and increase their profitability. However, with technological advancements and product innovations, mid-size to smaller companies are increasing their market presence by securing new contracts and by tapping new markets.
- July 2020 - Savant Systems Inc, has completed the acquisition of GE Lighting from GE creating GE Lighting, a Savant company. This acquisition will support both these companies to provide a unique and cost-effective intelligent lighting and smart home solutions to its customers.
- March 2020 - Panasonic Life Solutions launched its first exclusive store in Hyderabad, India largely spread across 6,000 sq. ft. The new store showcases products ranging from advanced Electrical Wiring Devices, Switchgear, Wires, LED lighting solutions, IAQ (Fans) and Water Heaters for the residential, commercial, and industrial segment. The move supplements the brandâ€™s plan to augment its retail presence in India. The company plans to open 130 such stores across Tier 1 and Tier 2 markets in India by end of FY21-22 to cater to the growing need of the ECM (Electrical and Construction Material) Industry.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Any special requirements about this report, please let us know and we can provide custom report.