The market for water treatment chemicals in India is expected to grow at a CAGR of above 8% during the forecast period. Increasing demand from the chemical manufacturing industry is a major driving factor for the market studied. However, the toxicity of water treatment chemicals is restraining the demand for water treatment chemicals in the country.
- Among the applications, power sector accounts for the largest market share and is likely to dominate the market during the forecast period.
- The increasing investments in sewage treatment plants in the country is to provide a major growth opportunity to the market studied.
- Among the product types, biocides & disinfectants are expected to account for the highest growth rate during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Biocides and Disinfectants to witness the Highest Growth Rate
- Biocides are used in cooling water treatment plants. Cooling water towers are ideal for the growth of biological organisms, such as bacteria, algae, fungi, sulfate-reducing bacteria, and protozoa. Biocides are also for water cleaning programs in order to control biofouling in reverse osmosis membranes.
- These biocides are used prior to the RO system, to regulate bio-growth in the membrane. The market has been promoting newly designed biocides, like THPS (Tetrakis Hydroxymethyl-Phosphonium Sulfate). These biocides have relatively lower toxicity, and a rapid breakdown in the environment, unlike conventional biocides.
- In India, biocides & disinfectants are majorly used in municipal, and chemical manufacturing (including petrochemicals) industry. With growth in the chemical manufacturing industry and potable drinking water, due to rapid industrialization and urbanization, respectively, the demand for water treatment chemicals, especially biocides & disinfectants, is expected to increase.
- Hence, owing to the above-mentioned factors, the biocides & disinfectants product type is likely to witness the highest growth rate during the forecast period.
Power Industry to Dominate the Market
- India's power sector consists of conventional sources, â€˜such as coal, hydro, and nuclear powerâ€™ to non-conventional sources, such as wind, solar, and agriculture & domestic waste.
- Water in the power generation industry is used in steam production for spinning turbines, humidifying airflow into gas turbines, the inter-cooling air in gas-turbine plants, and various other applications.
- The electric power generation industry is one of the major sources of industrial wastewater. Their wastewater contains significant levels of toxic metal impurities, such as lead, mercury, arsenic, chromium and cadmium, among others. These impurities can cause significant damage to environment, if not treated properly. Therefore, the electric power generation industry needs water treatment chemicals.
- Electricity demand in the country has been consistently increasing, owing to growing industrialization & urbanization, and population.
- Hence, owing to the above-mentioned factors, power industry is likely to dominate the market during the forecast period.
The Indian water treatment chemicals market is partially fragmented, with no player in the market accounting for a significant share of the market. Key players in the market studied include Thermax Limited, ION EXCHANGE, Chemtex Specialty Limited, SicagenChem, and Ecolab (Nalco), among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support