The automated liquid handlers market was valued at USD 685.96 million in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 939.92 million by 2026, at a CAGR of 5.39% over the forecast period 2021 - 2026.The strong demand for automated liquid handling with sensor-integrated systems has been augmented by the significant improvements in the accuracy of the experiments conducted for small volumes of liquid. Liquid handling plays a pivotal role in applications like genomic and proteomic research, as samples are dispensed for smoothening the workflow. In the modern era, the need for automated liquid handling has proved to be a boon for increasing the efficiency of various applications.
- The flexibility and adaptability of automation systems for labs has made automated liquid handlers have been widely adopted in lab automation, as they drastically reduce the time for processing and minimize the scope for sample contamination by dispensing the dead volumes very efficiently. Liquid handlers are capable of operating across a wide range of volumes that extend into Nanoliters, proving their usefulness in dispensing operations.
- Digital transformation of labs with IoT has made labs to adopt automated liquid handlers market which eases the flow for research in labs to sync with the existing infrastructure.
- Stringency in regulations in the pharmaceutical industry which requires them to maintain very high precision to match with existing standards which are also driving the market.
- However, lack of skilled professionals, slow adoption rate by small and medium enterprises may hinder the growth of the market.
Key Market Trends
Drug Discovery to Account for a Significant Market Share
- The major applications of automation solutions in drug discovery units include the screening of ADME (absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion), compound weighing, High Throughput Screening (HTS), compound dissolution, and others.
- As the manual procedures consume more time and are very complex and expensive, many of the drug discovery units have pivoted into automating and robotizing their research laboratories.
- The consistent rise in the costs of pharmaceutical products prompted the industry players to modernize the traditional processes is driving the market.
- During the drug discovery and development processes for new therapeutic solutions, automated liquid handling is a vital tool that helps in streamlining the laboratory workflows. Procedures that used to take several months manually can now be completed in a day when modular automation systems are used.
North America to Hold a Major Share
- The major driver in North America for the investments has been the continuous evolution and application of new technologies, in unlocking enormous volumes that were previously considered non-commercial.
- The increase in the number of clinical or pre-clinical studies has pushed the demand for an efficient and cost-effective solution required for the analysis of samples, thus propelling the growth of the US automated liquid handlers market.
- Strict regulations imposed by the US government and the FDA, along with the growing demand in the diagnostic market, the increasing emphasis on the drug discovery and research laboratories owing to the rising presence of various diseases such as cardiovascular diseases and neurological diseases in the region, have fueled the growth of drug discovery and clinical diagnostics fields.
- Additionally, rapid technological innovations and the need for efficient testing processes to offset the lack of highly skilled laboratory professionals have accelerated the growth of the market.
The automated liquid handlers market is moderately fragmented due to the presence of few large players and newly added startups which are increasing. The major players in this market include Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Beckman Coulter Inc., Corning Inc. among others. Some key developments in the market include:
- May 2019 - Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. acquired drug substance manufacturing site in Ireland from GSK. The new site will expand capacity for Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc for the development and commercial manufacturing of complex APIs.
- May 2019 - Deckman Coulter announced new D*A 5000 total laboratory automation solutions which achieved European CE mark and China food and drug administration approval.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Any special requirements about this report, please let us know and we can provide custom report.