The Asia-Pacific Automated Storage & Retrieval Systems market registered a CAGR of 9.95% over the forecast period 2021 - 2026.
- The Asia-Pacific region is witnessing an increasing foucs towards automation by the warehousing companies which is anticipated to drive the market for Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems. According to Warehouse 2020 APAC Vision Study cinducted by Zebra, 73% of the warehousing companies in the region plan to increase the number of warehouses by 2020 and 52% of them also plan to reduce space expansion in existing warehouses in 2020.
- The study also stated that 74% of the comapnies have plans to upgrade their warehouse staff with technology, specifically to raise investment in Internet of Thing, barcode scanning technologies, tablet computers, big data/data analytics, and warehouse/truck loading automation over the forecast period.
- Many of the companies in the food and beverage industry have recognized the advantages provided by the ASRS systems and have increased their focus towards the market adoption.
- For instance, Australiaâ€™s confectionery manufacturer, Cadbury Schweppes, carried out a major upgrade of its national distribution center in Melbourne. The upgrade resulted in a 20% productivity improvement to the automated storage and retrieval system in its warehouse, while simultaneously maintaining full distribution capability. It involved refurbishing and upgrading four ASRS cranes, as well as upgrading and modernizing the distribution centerâ€™s conveyor and sortation system.
Key Market Trends
Retail to Hold a Significant Share
- The retail sector generated the second-highest demand for ASRS in the region, after post and parcel, as compared to other industries. ASRS, when compared to other equipment types, has witnessed a higher adoption in the in the region's retail sector. China has significantly contributed to this.
- This is because the Chinese retail revenue is also on a constant increase since 2011, which is significantly driving up the automation in the retail sector of the country, as a rise in retail requires effective storage and warehouse management of products suitably requiring ASRS.
- According to Chinaâ€™s Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM), Chinaâ€™s retail sales are expected to surpass sales in the United States, for the first time in 2018, due to innovation and transformation of Chinaâ€™s retail enterprisesChinaâ€™s retail sales are expected to surpass sales in the United States, for the first time in 2018, due to innovation and transformation of Chinaâ€™s retail enterprises.
- Furthermore, Chinese retailers are developing unmanned shops. For instance, Suning, the Chinese online shopping platform launched five unmanned shops in China, which apply facial recognition technology to payment services, and offer shoppers an intelligent shopping experience, based on their consumption habits. This has significantly contributed to the growth of the market studied in the region.
- Apart from China countries such as India, Japan, South Korea and Indonesia are also witnessing increase in demand for the automated systems in the warehousing sector.
China to Hold Major Share
- The rise in the retail revenue and sales has also generated a need to effectively manage warehouses, which are emphasizing the need to install automated warehousing systems.
- Hence, companies have started to install this equipment to keep up the pace with the growing retail sector in the country. For instance, recently in November 2017, the Chinese e-commerce sector figured out models of automation for the warehouses. .
- An e-commerce giant in China, JD.com Inc., recently built an efficient ASRS for effective warehouse management, in order to cater the demand for increasing retail sales. Additionally, Samson Holding was one of the first companies to implement ASRS in the Chinese furniture industry, enabling to automatically and mechanically store, track and retrieve every product produced, thus, saving ample preparation time required to assemble different products for each shipment.
- Moreover, the parcel industry in China also exploded over the years. Chinese express firms delivered around 40 billion parcels in 2017, according to the State Post Bureau, which is a government agency regulating the postal service of the People's Republic of China.
- Owing to these factors, ASRS is anticipated to witness an increase in the adoption of storing and managing parcels in the country.
The Asia-Pacific automated storage and retrieval system market is moderately fragmented and highly competitive in nature. Product launches, high expense on research and development, partnerships and acquisitions, etc. are the prime growth strategies adopted by the companies in the country to sustain the intense competition.
- September 2019 - Daifuku Co., Ltd. announced the establishment of of Vietnamese subsidiary, Daifuku Intralogistics Vietnam Co., Ltd. The newly formed subsidiary will manage local sales, installation and after-sales services of material handling systems for the manufacturing and distribution sectors.
- August 2019 - Murata Machinery, Ltd. partnered with US material handling system supplier Alert Innovation, Inc. Alert, an American startup company, developed ALPHABOT, a picking solution system. As a strategic partner, Muratec will undertake a transfer of technical knowledge on the ALPHABOT system and will have sole rights to market and sell, design, manufacture, and service systems based on ALPHABOTÂ® throughout Japan.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
Any special requirements about this report, please let us know and we can provide custom report.